The main goals of the third-cycle doctoral studies are the development and acquisition of scientific competencies of doctoral candidates, which include, but are not limited to, the ability of doctoral students to conduct independent, original and publishable research in one or more scientific areas related either to fundamental or applied knowledge, and to ensure the development of doctoral students' competencies in the scientific-research process and the development of creativity, systematic understanding of the field of study and mastery of the skills and methods of research work, the ability to define a study project of research, to make their own scientific contribution through original research that expands the boundaries of knowledge in a given field, that they are able for critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis, and further development of new and complex ideas and approaches.
The basic goals assume that the improvement and expansion of knowledge in the scientific fields of doctoral study programs is carried out in accordance with international ethical standards.
Doctoral study achieves the synergy of education, research and innovation.
Individual goals and purpose of third cycle studies which are realized at the Pan-European University include:
- Acquiring, developing and expanding the boundaries of knowledge through scientific research work and the educational process with the aim of contributing to the development of individuals, social, economic, spiritual and cultural progress of society, the gradual building of a knowledge society and increasing the competitiveness of the wider social community;
- Providing opportunities for doctoral students to, under equal conditions, extend the education acquired in the second cycle, acquire abilities, competences, knowledge and skills in the third cycle and adopt moral and humanistic values resulting from the educational goals of the third cycle;
- Achieving the strategic goals of the European area of higher education, lifelong learning and mobility of students and academic staff in the field of third cycle studies;
- Realization of the qualification framework of third cycle studies that is compatible with the Qualification Framework in the European area of higher education and which enables the acquisition of general generic abilities and competencies of the third cycle based on European standards;
- Improvement of the theoretical framework and acquisition of additional competencies of the wider scientific field in which the third cycle study is located as a basis for advanced scientific, expert and research knowledge and professional development;
- Creating and maintaining international comparability of standards, especially in the intra-institutional, inter-institutional, regional and European context, thus enabling and improving the mobility of researchers and doctoral candidates, as well as the mobility of academic staff;
- Enabling students of the third cycle to acquire deep theoretical and systematic knowledge and understanding in the field of the enrolled study, which is based on scientific research, and to expand and upgrade the previously acquired knowledge of the studies of the second cycle, which is at the same time a basis for originality in the development and application of ideas in the context research work;
- Enabling doctoral candidates to be able to apply their knowledge and understanding, as well as problem-solving skills, to new and unfamiliar areas within a broader (or interdisciplinary) context related to their field of study and scientific research;
- Training doctoral students to apply conceptual and abstract thinking, with a high level of creativity, which enables the formation of critical thinking and the development of alternative solutions, respectively. ability to redefine ideas and models (new use of known objects) and elaboration (development) of an original idea.
- Enabling students to integrate knowledge and deal with complex problems, and to formulate judgments based on the given information, with the readiness to assume social and ethical responsibilities related to the application of that knowledge or judgments;
- Acquiring additional interpersonal and teamwork skills, suitable for different contexts of learning and scientific research in the PhD study of the III cycle, enabling students to initiate, make decisions in a time deficit, manage and harmonize teams and social groups.
- Redefinition of teaching plans and reengineering of study curricula of the third cycle in order to ensure the appropriate scientific competencies of students and realize the principle of lifelong learning;
- Development of a project-oriented doctoral study based on the individualization and adaptation of studies to the scientific research project of the doctoral candidate in order to prepare and defend the doctoral thesis through an interdisciplinary elective program and research practice.
- Introduction of modern methods of working with doctoral students through interactive teaching in small groups, scientific research seminars, research work and projects, creative participation of students in the educational process with evaluation of students' knowledge in the form of a continuous process of monitoring their achievements and synthesis of all forms of work;
- Establishing and developing versatile academic and scientific-research cooperation in the field of third-cycle studies with other higher education institutions from the country and abroad and research institutions, with an emphasis on the development of joint study programs, scientific-research projects, mobility of students, researchers and academic staff and concept development double and joint degrees;
- Support for the transfer of technologies and the strengthening of innovation capacities of business entities of the wider social community